IF Oxford (science and ideas Festival) Usage and Contributor Terms
IF Oxford works with hundreds of contributors from a range of organisations, including multinational companies, universities and neighbourhood community organisations. This contribution range allows IF Oxford to platform a distinctive mix of science and innovative ideas to public audiences on a non-commercial basis in accordance with its charitable status. The legal framework for doing this is outlined below.
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (“Terms”) CAREFULLY BEFORE USING OUR SITE AND SUBMITTING OR CONFIRMING CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE FESTIVAL PLATFORM
We are Oxfordshire Science Festival Limited (Company number: 07189165; Charity number: 1151361) t/a “IF Oxford”. Our registered address is 41 Cornmarket Street, Oxford, OX1 3HA.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us at [email protected].
By using our Site or Platform, or otherwise by submitting contributions to the Oxford science and ideas Festival through any channel, you accept these Terms. If you do not agree to these Terms, you must inform us to discuss a specific exemption or not use our Site and Platform.
In using our Site or otherwise submitting your content to us, you acknowledge that we may process your personal data, more information about this can be found at: https://if-oxford.com/about/policies/privacy-policy.
OUR SCIENCE & CREATIVE PLATFORM
- What is our platform? Our “Platform” refers to our Science and Ideas Festival which is made available to users through our website at if-oxford.com “Site” and through related channels, which provides access to materials, creative ideas and activities including videos and digital / print publications (“OSF Content”) managed by us or by selected third parties. We are an independent not-for-profit organisation, and we gather together content created by us, or submitted to us, and make that content available for users to use for non-commercial purposes through our website and other channels.
- Donations and payments. Where you choose to make a donation or payment to use our Platform (as defined below), you can do so through a range of options, including using BACS and the PayPal Giving Fund.
- Content you submit. You can submit your own content to us (“Submitted Content”) to share and promote the works of your organisation in the scientific and creative industry and communicate with other users of our Platform.
- Performance of the Site. Although we will introduce technology to prevent malware and viruses we do not guarantee that our Site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our Site. We cannot guarantee that the Site will be available at all times.
- We may suspend or withdraw access to our Site. We do not guarantee that our Site, or any of the OSF Content, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our Site for business and operational reasons.
- You must maintain a secure internet connection. Where you lose access to the Site and any Submitted Content due to a disruption in your telecommunications or internet services, we will in no way be liable for any losses suffered.
- Where our Site contains links to other sites, content and resources provided by third parties. These are provided for your information only. They should not be interpreted as approval by us of those linked websites or information you may obtain from them and we have no liability to you in respect of any such third party sites, content or resources.
CONTRIBUTOR CONTENT TERMS
We are an independent, not-for-profit organisation and our purpose is to provide events and content to inspire interest in science and to help shape new ideas. For more details see our values and objectives at https://if-oxford.com/about/about-the-festival/.
You may contribute materials to us by uploading your content to our Site, or by sending your content to us. By submitting your content to us, you are doing so to allow us to make such content available on our Site and across our Platform in various ways. These Terms set out details of what content you may submit and how, and what our rights (and the rights of those accessing materials on our Site or across our Platform) are in relation to the content you submit, so please do read these Terms carefully. By submitting content to us you are agreeing to be bound by these terms. Please note that different terms apply depending on the nature of the content you create and submit to us.
- Commissioned Contributor Content: Where we commission the creation of any content from you for use on our Site and otherwise across our Platform, whether that be the creation of video content, written materials or any other content or materials, (all “Commissioned Contributor Content”) you agree that we own all rights, including all intellectual property rights, in such content. Where we ask you to, you agree to confirm the transfer of ownership to us and to sign any documents we reasonably require for this purpose. Unless we agree otherwise, you will be permitted to use the Commissioned Contributor Content to solely promote your own services, or for your own non-commercial purposes. When commissioning the content from you, we will normally ask you to complete a form confirming details of the content we are commissioning and any other relevant terms applicable to such commission. By submitting the Commissioned Contributor Content to us, you confirm you are entitled to transfer the ownership of the rights in the Commissioned Contributor Content to us as referred to in this section (subject to the terms of the next section regarding Background Content).
- Other Content included within Commissioned Contributor Content. Sometimes the content we commission you to produce for us will contain content owned by you or third parties “Background Content”). Before including any such Background Content, you will tell us that you intend to do so. If we agree to you including such Background Content, by providing us with the Commissioned Contributor Content, you confirm that you have all rights and permissions to include the Background Content in the Commissioned Contributor Content for us to use and display across our Platform, and to the extent that you cannot transfer ownership of the rights in the Background Content, you grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free licence to make use and share the Background Content as part of the Commissioned Contributor Content publicly with other users through our Platform for non-commercial purposes.
- Other Contributor Content. Where you wish to share your own Submitted Content with others through the Site or otherwise across our Platform (not including Commissioned Contributor Content), you or your licensors will continue to own all intellectual property rights in such content. By submitting Submitted Content to us, you confirm that you have all rights and permissions to submit such content for use by us on the Site and across our Platform. You grant us an unlimited licence for a perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, unrestricted, world-wide, non-exclusive, fully sub-licensable right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, distribute, perform and display the Submitted Content (in whole or part), worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, including the right to share such content publicly with other users via the Site or otherwise across our Platform for non-commercial purposes. Such licence enables us to feature or use the Submitted Content on the Site and across our Platform and in promotional or marketing materials. You acknowledge that where we create content materially similar to or the same as any Submitted Content you have made public on our Site or across our Platform, you will have no claims against us including for infringement or misappropriation. You will remain responsible for the accuracy, copyright compliance, legality, decency, or any other aspect of your Submitted Content.
- Right to edit. You recognise that we have the right to edit, copy, alter, add to, take from, adapt and translate all or any of any elements of the Submitted Content and you waive the benefit of any provision of law relating to so-called “moral rights” and “performance rights” and any similar laws of any jurisdiction now in force or in the future enacted as are necessary for us to use the Submitted Content in all media now known or invented in the future without the need for any payment to you or any third party involved in the creation of the content you submit.
- Right of Take Down. You acknowledge that we have the right to remove your Submitted Content from the Site and all or any other channels across our Platform in our sole discretion and without liability to you.
- Use of your images, voice and video. Where the content you submit to us for use on the Site and across our Platform contain personal information, such as names, biographical detail and images, you confirm that you have all appropriate consents or other lawful rights to use such personal data and to allow us to display and otherwise make available such data on the Site and through the Platform.
- Where you submit Submitted Content to us as part of a competition we are running on the Platform, ownership of content you submit as part of your entry will be governed by the terms and conditions relevant to that competition as stated in the competition rules.
- All Submitted Content:
- Submitted Content – your responsibility: It is your responsibility to ensure that the Submitted Content you submit to us is (i) appropriate for the audiences and age groups designated by you in the Content Submission Form; (ii) accurate (where it states facts), including facts submitted on the Submission Form; (iii) be genuinely held or backed up by reasonable argument (where it states opinions); and (iv) complies with the law applicable in England and Wales.
- Submitted Content must not be the following: (i) defamatory of anyone or could bully, insult, intimidate, discriminate or humiliate someone; (ii) unlawful; (iii) promote sexually explicit material; (iv) promote violence; (v) infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark; (vi) likely to deceive; (vii) give the impression that the Contributor Content originates from us or another person for which you do not have authority from; and (viii) knowingly introduce elements that are biologically, socially or technologically malicious or harmful (such as viruses or politically disturbing rhetoric.)
- Our Site. We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our Site, including any modifications and improvements, whether made by us or suggested by you. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. We provide you with a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable limited term licence for internal, non-commercial use only to use the Site in accordance with these Terms.
- OSF Content: Other than rights owned by you or third parties as expressly stated above, we are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in all of the OSF Content appearing on our Site and across our Platform. These works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved. You are entitled to use such OSF Content for personal or internal business purposes only and may not transfer, sell, distribute, lease, sublease, assign or licence to any third parties. We are entitled to end the licence granted to you in our absolute discretion.
- Your indemnity to us. You agree to indemnify us, our affiliates, directors, officers and employees against all loss, costs, damages liabilities and expenses that arise out of your breach of these Terms.
- What we do limit: We will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with the use of, or inability to use, our Site; or use of any other part of our Platform.
- In particular, we will not be liable for loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue; business interruption; loss of anticipated savings; loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or any indirect or consequential loss or damage. We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so including death or personal injury caused by our negligence.
- No Services guarantees. The Platform is provided “as is”. We make no guarantee as to the quality of the Platform and its suitability for your individual purposes, and will not be liable in the event you do not undertake your own prior due diligence.
- Each of the paragraphs of these terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
- What action we may take in the event of a breach. When we consider that a breach of these Terms has occurred, we reserve the right to take such action as we deem appropriate including:
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our Site;
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Submitted Content provided by you from any part of our Platform;
- legal action against you and/or disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
COMPLAINTS AND DISPUTES
- Complaints and legal disputes. Where you have any complaints, are subject to insolvency (or similar) proceedings or wish to issue legal proceedings against us, you should send notice of these to [email protected].
- What laws apply to these Terms? These terms are governed by English law and you can bring legal proceedings in the English courts.
- Changes to these Terms. As our service grows and improves, we might have to make changes to these Terms. We will do this by uploading the latest version with a date confirming when they went live.
Revision prepared by Taylor Vinters and approved by Oxfordshire Science Festival Ltd. Board of Trustees, Friday 13 August 2021